Frequently Asked Questions

1. When does the TRACS system start calling out?

The TRACS system calls out each evening, except Fridays and Saturdays, from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and each morning, except Saturdays and Sundays, from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

2. In what order does TRACS call out for daily occasional assignments?

TRACS calls occasional teachers by seniority and availability, as per their occasional teacher profile, to ensure that the occasional teacher with the greatest seniority is called first. Calls shall continue down the list until the assignment is filled. For each assignment, the call out software will reset to the occasional teacher with the greatest seniority (New Article 13.05, previously Letter of Understanding #1).

3. What is the current daily rate?

Please see article 14.02 of Part B of the Dufferin-Peel Occasional Teachers’ Collective Agreement.

4. What happens if my job is cancelled when I arrive at the school?

DO NOT GO HOME! According to Article 15.01, if the occasional teacher does not receive notification of the job cancellation and arrives at the school, the occasional teacher shall report to the principal for re-assignment to any unfilled vacancy requiring replacement in the school. The occasional teacher shall work at the school for the length of the original assignment in order to be paid accordingly. Only occasional teacher duties will be assigned.

Should you receive resistance, please call the DPEU (905-564-7177) OR DPSU (905-564-7211) Unit office immediately.

5. What should I be doing during my planning time?

When you have planning time allotted during the day, it is time for you to do the work that was left by the absent classroom teacher such as photocopying or work that the classroom teacher would have done. You can use your planning time to prepare lessons to be taught that day, mark the work you assigned that day, unless otherwise directed by the teacher. Time permitting, you could also start to write a note for the absent teacher. The note should be positive and factual indicating how the day went, dated and signed by you.

You do NOT leave the school no matter when the planning time is. An emergency could arise where you are needed by the school.

6. What do I do if I am re-assigned during my planning time?

Article 15.02 states that occasional teachers take on the regular workload of the teacher they are replacing, including supervision duties and planning time. The only time that a principal may re-assign you during your planning time is in extraordinary circumstances that arise the day of the assignment. For example, classroom teacher who was not replaced by an OT (unfilled job); teacher went home sick and school is waiting for OT to arrive; OR a teacher had a family emergency and had to leave suddenly.

If you are reassigned during the planning time and the request seems ‘odd’ (covering another class), check the teacher’s other day plans to see if the instructions are consistent with the previous week.

Call the DPEU (905-564-7177) Unit office.

7. When does a daily absence turn into an LTO assignment?

A Long Term Occasional (LTO) assignment is defined as 14 or more consecutive instructional days for which the regular permanent teacher is absent (Article 1.01e).

8. What is the salary grid for LTO teachers?

Please see article 16.05 of Part B of the Dufferin-Peel Occasional Teachers’ Collective Agreement.

9. When and how do I get benefits?

For benefits information please visit the Employee Life & Health Trust (ELHT) section of

The plan is administered by the Ontario Teachers’ Insurance Plan (OTIP). If you have questions about your claims, contact OTIP at 1-866-783-6847 or visit

10. When are my Ontario College of Teachers’ fees due?

The annual membership fee is due January 1st of each year and covers the period from January 1st to December 31st. The OCT fee must be paid by April 15th each year or your certificate to teach will be suspended.

11. What is an Annual Offence Declaration (AOD)?

An Offence Declaration is a written declaration signed by the employee that since their last Criminal Record Check there have been no convictions for offences under the Criminal Code of Canada OR have the following convictions for offences under the Criminal Code of Canada for which a pardon has not been issued (list any criminal convictions).

The Board is required by law to have ALL employees complete and submit an AOD form in order to teach during the next school year. Failure to comply may result in the OTs removal from the Occasional Teacher Roster.

12. How do I apply for E.I. benefits?

All occasional teachers who have worked enough hours (8 hours per full day) may qualify for EI benefits due to ‘shortage of work’. The number of required hours vary depending on your area.

In the summer and during the breaks, daily occasional teacher can apply for EI online. The Board automatically forwards your Record of Employment (ROE) electronically to Service Canada.

LTO teachers in a LTO contract that spans over the Christmas and March breaks are NOT eligible for EI benefits during this time.

For up to date information on applying for EI visit or call 1-800-206-7218 or visit the nearest Service Canada Centre in your area. Any questions regarding eligibility for EI benefits must be directed to Service Canada. 

13. What should I do if I receive a call from a school administrator who wants to meet with me?

Before agreeing to attend any meeting with an administrator or Board official ask:

  • What is the purpose of the meeting?
  •  Who will be present at the meeting?
  •  Has there been any reporting to or involvement of outside agencies?
  •  Is there a proposed agenda/topics to be discussed?

Then, immediately call DPEU (905-564-7177) if it involves an elementary school OR DPSU (905-564-7211) if it involves a secondary school.

14. What do I do if contacted about allegations and a CAS investigation?

If you receive a call from a Board official, CAS (Children’s Aid Society) or the police regarding allegation(s) against you, listen to what they have to say and respond by saying, “I am willing to co-operate but I unable to comment until I contact my Association.”

  •  DO NOT participate in an interview.
  •  DO NOT answer any questions or make any comments.
  •  DO NOT offer any information. There is no such thing as “Off the Record”.
  •  DO NOT submit any written documentation/statement without speaking to legal counsel.

Call DPEU (905-564-7177) OR DPSU (905-564-7211) immediately or OECTA Provincial at 416-925-2493 or 1-800-268-7230 for assistance.

15. How do I access or get assistance with accessing the Employee Portal, Board email, Tracs, etc?

Visit or contact the ICT-Service Desk at the Board

16. Who do I contact regarding any Dufferin-Peel Secondary related questions or concerns?

Contact the Dufferin-Peel Secondary Unit (DPSU) at 905-564-7211 or

To Top